This will be the third time I've answered these questions - first in 2007, then again last year. It's very nearly the only New Years tradition I have. First, though, my favorite picture from the series of holiday parties I attended.
Dancing with a friend of the Explosive Neil's at The Family Guy Christmas party. It was absolutely brilliant and I'm so glad the party photographer sent us the pictures. See how giddy I was? That's what dancing does to me.
Onto the questions...
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
I went to Australia! It was fantastic and brilliant and I'm so so happy I went. I also shot a gun for the first time, a Glock, and I was good! Turns out all those video games weren't such a waste of time.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As is typical every year, I probably did make a resolution and forgot what it was by February.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Someone who was close to my brother passed away.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I'm pretty happy with the things I have this year. There's nothing I lack for - but there are things that I'd like more of, please. Namely, clothes, shoes, and money.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Most of this year was pretty memorable for me. I met a lot of people, did a lot of things. It was a good, eventful year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I think it would have to be getting my life a little more sorted out. The process started last year but was still pretty unstable, job-wise. I feel much more solid about it going into this new year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I don't feel as though I failed this year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A couple of colds and then, a few weeks ago, a spectacular bump on the head. My brains were scrambled for days.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Being very, very poor, I haven't purchased anything amazing this year but, again, I've gotten some very nice gifts.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Quite a few people really impressed me this year. My friends are brave, brave folks.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
No one's really appalled me but there were a couple of people that got me sad. That's how it crumbles, cookie-wise.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Australia, rent, and keeping Clementine running.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Again, Australia. Seeing Gogol Bordello over the summer. Christmas parties.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I fell in love with this song and listened to it constantly over the summer.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
about the same.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I did a lot of living this year. I maybe should have taken more time to be creative but I don't regret the time I spent running around like a maniac.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I deffo wish I'd spent less time job-hunting/working at terrible places.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent the holiday with my family. It was lovely.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
It would have been no fun at all if I hadn't.
22. How many one-night stands?
None, as always. I'm very well-behaved.
23. What was your favourite TV program?
I've become obsessed with 30 Rock. It's genius.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope, still don't hate anyone.
25. What was the best book you read?
Jonathan Saffron Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close blew me away. It's been making the rounds among my friends but as soon as it gets back to me, I'll be reading it again.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
There were so many discoveries this year! Some of them are bands/singers that have been around for a while and some of them are new but there were at least thirty or forty different musical obsessions this year. A couple of the current obsessions include Florence + The Machine, Mariachi El Bronx, and Amanda Palmer's solo album.
27. What did you want and get?
Lots and lots of fun.
28. What did you want and not get?
There were a couple of disappointments here and there but nothing permanent.
29. What was your favourite film of this year?
This is always a tough one. I have a few favorites: The Brothers Bloom, (500) Days of Summer, and District 9.
30. What did you do on your birthday?
I went to Disneyland with my parents!
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I think this year might have been a little better if I hadn't spent half of it in a panic because I couldn't get a good job.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
It really hasn't changed - a little bit quirky, a little bit retro, a little bit punk, feminine, and this year, lots and lots of red.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Simon Pegg is still the favorite, even though he hadn't done anything memorable this year.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
36. Who did you miss?
It's always the same - my brother and my grandparents.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
So many people this year! The best?... ... ... I don't know. They're all tied for first.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
It's okay to be selfish once in a while. This is the only life I've got and I'm allowed to enjoy it.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
This night is winding down but time means nothing. We're all right where we're supposed to be.