Monday, December 30, 2013

The Annual Meme, 2013 Edition

I've been doing this one for 6 years now.  Here's the old ones: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007.
Here's how I do this year.


1. What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
I finally figured out how to shoot with my Lindhof.  It's a magical camera and I'm still figuring out how to make really awesome photos but at least I've finally figured out how to do really bad photos.  Awesome will come later.

Learning to develop my own film was a really great experience, too.  I love that I'm more and more able to control every aspect of what I shoot.  This year, my technical knowledge of photography grew in leaps and bounds, thanks to an awesome new friend who was so generous with showing me the ropes.
Also, I had a root canal.  That is less awesome than the other new things I've done this year.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolution was to keep up with this blog and I did not do a very good job with that AT ALL.  Maybe 2014 will be the year of the blog....

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin-in-law had a beautiful baby girl and when we went to visit for Thanksgiving, that baby was mine.


4. Did anyone close to you die?
I'm grateful to see that my loved ones are ok.

5. What countries did you visit?
This year I went with my family to Paris and then took a trip to Mexico City with my BFF, where we stayed with my brother.  It was all very awesome.
About seventy squillion other photos from the trip to Paris are here: TRIP TO PARIS

Me, the Brother, and the BFF about to climb an enormous pyramid outside of Mexico City.
A few photos of the trip to Mexico City are here.  TRIP TO MEXICO CITY AND ALSO SOME AREAS AROUND MEXICO CITY I have about eight squajillion more to upload because we went in May and that's only seven months and how is anyone supposed to do anything that quickly?

The other trip was in the US so maybe it doesn't count but there was a trip to the Grand Canyon and that was fun.  Kind of.  Not the camping part, which it turns out we're really, really bad at.  The rest of it was cool.
 Some of the pictures from that trip are here: GRAND CANYON  That trip was in June so there's, maybe, two pictures from the trip in that set.  I expect to have the rest uploaded by March of 2015.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
I really want to work on getting my various businesses off the ground.  There is a specific amount of money that I'd like to be making monthly and it's going to take some hustling to get there.

7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The trips that we took this year were magical.  Just wonderful, wonderful memories made with the people I love most and those will stay with me always.  Beyond that, nothing compares.  I saw a favorite band in concert twice in the same week, I went on a great little road trip with a good friend, The Kid and I went to the County Fair, just the two of us and had a blast - there are lots of fantastic little moments that happened throughout the year.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Really, it was learning how to navigate a marriage and Sudden Onset Motherhood - The Kid came to stay with us full-time this year and while I love, love, love him and his being around, it definitely took some adjusting to.

9. What was your biggest failure?
No failures.  Except maybe driving my car into a pole today.  That was pretty sucky.  (No major damage, just a dent and some scratches.  Shiny, new Clarence was just made a little less shiny and new.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
The root canal?  Does that count?  It should.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
This one is a toughie.  I can't think of any one thing that is the most awesome that I actually purchased myself.  My guy wins this one - he got me my dream camera for Christmas.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My guy.  There have been a lot of stressful situations going on this year, I'm maybe not the easiest person to be with, our expenses have gone up - through it all, he's patient and kind and loving and altogether just an amazing person.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I skip this question every year, I think.  Really, I should just take it out of the meme but then next year, I'll notice the missing number, forget why it's missing, go look it up, get annoyed, and then put it back but not answer it.  So I just won't answer it here.  edit - I left this answer in from last year's meme.

14. Where did most of your money go?
All the bills.  Lots and lots of bills.  Also, the vacations.  We won't be doing anything like that again for a while.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Vacations and cameras and friends and parties and movies and concerts.

16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
I hate to say it but Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke.  I don't even LIKE it but it was everywhere and it's catchy as hell.  It was EVERYWHERE.  My 63 year-old neighbor played it as her wake-up song in the mornings, that's how everywhere it was.



17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder?
I'm happier
b) thinner or fatter?
Thinner! Because I am a shallow person who obsesses over my weight does never does much of anything about it.
c) richer or poorer?
About the same.  Maybe a little poorer what with the root canal and the accidental hitting a pole with my car.  The pole is not going to press charges, luckily, but I don't think it'll be cheap to make poor Clarence look new again.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I should have spent more time outdoors.  Walking the dog doesn't count, either.   I've never been much of a hiker/beach bum/outdoorsperson but I think I might be missing out on some nice stuff.  I should check it out before it all gets irradiated or turns into a desert.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Cleaning.  Definitely cleaning.  I don't think the amount of cleaning I do will change with this new year, either.  Two dudes in the house, neither one of them capable of putting anything away.  So much cleaning.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
The three of us spent Christmas Eve at my parents house with them and other assorted family members.
On Christmas Day, J and I hosted an all-day brunch with a revolving door - friends and family drifted in and out all day.   It was lovely.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
I stayed very happily in love.

22. How many taco stands?
I had no taco stand food at all this year.  I'll try and do better next year.

23. What was your favourite TV program?
Doctor Who, as always.  Sherlock.  The Walking Dead.  Game of Thrones.  Orphan Black is a new favorite.  My not-so-secret guilty pleasure is Once Upon a Time.  It's so terrible but so GOOD.  But also really bad.  I love it.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No hate for anyone at all.

25. What was the best book you read?
I really enjoyed the Gone series by Michael Grant.  It was so dark!  I made The Kid read it as soon as I'd finished it, it was that good. .......   I'm trying to think of more books that aren't about the apocalypse or sci-fi or fantasy - I'm trying to sound like I'm intellectual - but I can't think of anything.  ...  *taking a break to run through the apartment and see if there are any Smart Books I've read and enjoyed that maybe I've forgotten about*
Some good novels, a couple of memoirs, a couple of graphic novels. I reread a bunch of favorites, stuff by Jane Austen and Dorothy Parker.  2014 will be the year I read all the science books. 

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
This Christmas playlist by my friend Max.  Some of the coolest Christmas music ever, ever, ever.  Save it for next year - you'll love it.

27. What did you want and get?
A very most awesome camera.  I have named him Elwood P. Dowd and he and I are going to make wonderful things together.

28. What did you want and not get?
A unicorn.

29. What was your favourite film of this year?
I can't remember anything in particular.  My favorite film-going experience?  A girlfriend and I saw His Girl Friday at the Aero Theater in Santa Monica.  One of the best comedies ever made, on the big screen.  Cary Grant's chin dimple, larger that life. 

30. What did you do on your birthday?
I can't remember.  Is that bad?  I'm sure it was nice.  The trip to Paris a week earlier was for my birthday.

31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A unicorn

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Tights.  Lots and lots of tights.  Black ones, brown ones, green ones, spotted ones, all the tights. 

33. What kept you sane?
Medication.

I KEED!  I KEED!

Coffee?  Willpower?  I don't know.  I'm not sure if I am sane.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm not even sure what it means to 'fancy' but I know that this video fills me with delight.


Otherwise, I'm coming up blank...




35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Obamacare, the shutdown, Syria - a year full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

36. Who did you miss?
My grandparents.  Always my grandparents. 

37. Who was the best new person you met?
I've made a few awesome new friends this year.  It's been great.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013:
Floss your teeth.  Seriously.  Floss.*

*Isn't that a strange word?  Floss.  I typed it and then almost immediately started to wonder if that's actually a word.  Floss.  Flossflossfloss.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year
Don't stop me now 'cause I'm having a good time

No comments:

Post a Comment